PRCC provides intensive ESOL classes, counseling and case management, assessment, information, referral services, and tutoring. The desired outcome is to increase the adult’s ability to communicate in English which directly impacts their ability to gain employment and to attain greater self sufficiency for both themselves and their families.
The ESOL Program utilizes both entry level testing for diagnostic purposes and regular ongoing progress testing to determine the growth in language skills by enrolled students. This allows program staff to focus on individualizing students needs to support students in meeting their goals and objectives for their language study. Attendance data, learning gains, and demographic data are maintained by the program staff to evaluate the program and the student’s progress.
The PRCC GED Preparation Program provides academic class work and counseling to participants, who are not enrolled in school and adults who are in need of acquiring their GED to improve their opportunities at work, further their education or obtain employment. The program is provided in English and Spanish. Additionally, the PRCC GED Program helps students to learn life skills and goal setting.
Through this program, participants gain competence I the following areas:
- Oral and written expansion
Listening and reading skills
Computation and problem solving
Career development and entry level job skills
Using community and educational resources effectively
This model will prepare student for continuing their education or career placement given the curriculum model that stresses learning valuable skills that are transferable to academic and career settings.
The PRCC GED Program focus on the following activities to promote lifelong learning:
- Emphasis on interdisciplinary learning- as indicated by research, the development of the intergraded cognitive skills that are key to success in the workforce
- Increased retention and motivation- keys to successes for GED test-takers- can be supported by the student input into the planning process, including choosing themes and materials, identifying learning strategies, and selecting activities.
- Developing cognitive skills for workplace success
- The curriculum should include tasks that build or reinforce interpersonal skills and individual accountability.
Sexual Health Education
In an effort to reduce the high incidence of Teen pregnancy and sexually transmitted deceases PRCC has taken an active and intense approach to educate all members of the Latino community . In partnership with Planned Parenthood a comprehensive structure has been implemented with the appropriate information to address the educational needs of parents and children of all ages.